The best curriculum
- A complete series of balance, control and agility skills that will prepare skaters for any ice skating sport or recreational skating.
- Nationally-tested and proven curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success.
- Designed for 90% movement so skaters learn in an active and fun group setting.
The Best Coaches
- Nationally certified coaches trained specifically in teaching the mechanics and proper technique of skating.
- Coaches are assisted by trained program assistants.
- Ensures a 1:10 coach/program assistant to skater ratio or lower.
The best start
- Provides kids with the best foundation for figure skating, hockey, speed skating and ringette.
- Introduces a healthy, lifelong activity at an early age.
- Promotes fun, fitness and participation.
The best results
- Some of the best skaters in the world learned to skate with CanSkate including Olympic figure skaters, Olympic speed skaters, men’s and women’s Olympic hockey players and NHL players.
- Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir, Olympic and World ice dance champions.
- Patrick Chan, Olympic medalist and World men’s figure skating champion.
- Ivanie Blondin, Olympic and World long track speed skater.
- Matt Duchene, NHL Colorado Avalanche and Olympic hockey team gold medallist.
- Jeff Skinner, NHL Carolina Hurricanes, NHL Rookie of the Year and former Canadian juvenile men’s figure skating medallist.
Why sign up for CanSkate?
What is CanSkate?
CanSkate is a dynamic learn-to-skate program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. Based on Sport Canada's long term athlete development (LTAD) principles, CanSkate centers on physical literacy and the fundamental skills needed to take part in any ice sport or to skate as a recreational activity.
Who’s it for?
For beginners of all ages, children or adults, as well as for those wishing to improve their basic skills whether their focus be for figure skating, hockey, speed skating or just skating for fun.
Who teaches it?
NCCP-trained professional coaches, assisted by trained program assistants.
What will you learn?
A complete series of balance, control and agility skills taught in six stages of learning that pertain to hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating as well as general recreational skating. CanSkate uses nationally-tested and proven curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success in developing stronger basic skills and developing them faster.
What can you expect?
Action, movement and fun! Lessons are given in a group format with a coach-to-student ratio of a maximum 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, upbeat music and a wide variety of activities that create a motivational environment and promote learning. Badges, ribbons and other incentives are used to benchmark skaters’ progress and reward effort and participation.
What do you need to participate?
All you need are skates, a CSA-approved hockey helmet, long pants, mittens, warm sweater or jacket. Dress in layers - it will get warm!
How do you sign up?
Be a part of the fun - join a Skate Canada club today and learn to skate with CanSkate!